'92 Taurus Wagon

Have an opportunity to buy a 1992 Taurus Wagon with 3.0 Engine, 145,000 miles on it. Fair condition, new tires, two small rust spots near the lower
part of 2 of the doors. Can purchase for $1000. Are there problem areas I need to check for. All help/suggestions most appreciated. Reply to group please. thanks David Griffith
Rusty cooling systems,leaking freez plugs, cracked heads. Be sure to perform block test if possible.....
Johan

lower
See if it has a AXOD or an AXOD-E transmission. The E stands for "electronic." The first year or two were horrible for longevity, and it was right around 92 or 93.
CJB

CJB wrote:

'92 would have been an AXODE. Chances are if the trannie is still working at 145K and has not been abused it will be ok. Make sure you take it out on the hwy and make sure it goes though all the gear smoothly.
The earlier 3.0's should outlast the car. Things to look for:
Radiator weeping out of pressed seems. Oily goo around the motor mounts (they are like a jelly donut) Check cruise control for operation and hold AC work? could be expensive to fix if needed. delay Wipers work on all speeds properly? Check CV boots for cracks. Brake rotors for scoring or warping Check wheels for obvious leaning or suspension sag. Struts for fresh oil leakage. Look close at power steering hoses for fresh wetness and low PS fluid level in the pump. Check rear muffler for hole rotted in the top.
A car of this age is going to have on going maintenance. But it will serve you well. For $1000, it should be pretty well intact or pass on it.
Bob
Thanks Bob , and to the others who replied... this is a super group... Ralph Griffith
| | | CJB wrote: | | > See if it has a AXOD or an AXOD-E transmission. The E stands for | > "electronic." The first year or two were horrible for longevity, and it was | > right around 92 or 93. | > | > CJB | | '92 would have been an AXODE. Chances are if the trannie is still working at | 145K and has not been abused it will be ok. Make sure | you take it out on the hwy and make sure it goes though all the gear | smoothly. | | The earlier 3.0's should outlast the car. | Things to look for: | | Radiator weeping out of pressed seems. | Oily goo around the motor mounts (they are like a jelly donut) | Check cruise control for operation and hold | AC work? could be expensive to fix if needed. | delay Wipers work on all speeds properly? | Check CV boots for cracks. | Brake rotors for scoring or warping | Check wheels for obvious leaning or suspension sag. | Struts for fresh oil leakage. | Look close at power steering hoses for fresh wetness and | low PS fluid level in the pump. | Check rear muffler for hole rotted in the top. | | A car of this age is going to have on going maintenance. | But it will serve you well. For $1000, it should be pretty well | intact or pass on it. | | Bob | | | | |
My advice: DON'T BUY IT!
My parents bought one and was a nightmare. Leaking radiator, broken engine mounts, transmission failure, blown headgaskets, etc. etc. All with less than 50,000 miles! It was finally junked after being totalled in an accident.... but after wasting $5000 in above mentioned repairs!
OTOH, a friend bought a '88 Accord for $900 and it has run problem free for over a year, even thought it has 220,000 miles. Not a single problem whatsoever. He regularly makes 500 miles trips, getting an incredible 40mpg!
____________________________________ Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.
He Hate Retard and Moron opined in

And I have a Son who bought a 95 Accord with 50,000 miles and has replaced every major engine bolt-on, water pump, starter alternator... the brakes twice, and never gets more than 32 mpg on a trip.
That said... this guy's parent experienced every major known problem with the car.
But 3.0 are exempted from the headgasket problem and the trans would have blown by 120,000 if it was going to

First of all. '95 and '88 Accords are totally different cars. The former has about 40 hp more and about 500 LBs heavier. That should explain the lower MPG.
Secondly, FORDs breaking down is the norm, on Hondas it's not.
And I doubt his Honda cost $5000 to fix, like our FORD did.

Ours was a 3.0.
____________________________________ Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.
If you @#$$%$#@ hate "retard and moron" so much, why are you?
Those who accuse others as a matter of course rather than for specifics give themselves away!
Now go away
He Hate Retard and Moron opined

Are you bi-polar? That would explain your nonsensical response.
____________________________________ Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.
I had a 91 wagon and 91 sedan. Both were pretty unreliable. I got rid of the when my extended warranty was running out in year 4.