92 tempo hot stalling

I have a 92 tempo 2.3L fuel injected engine that runs great until you try to take a 30-40 mile trip in hot weather 95-100 degrees. At highway speed, the car will suddenly lose power and die aprox. 20-40 minutes into the trip . car will restart immediately and runs for a minute or two then starts cutting out and dies. Temp gauge says it's running in the normal range, radiator fan is running. If I let it set a couple of hours it runs fine again. Car will idle smoothly for hours in my shop, and runs fine in cooler weather. Had the TFI checked today, they say it's okay. put on a new fuel filter and spark plugs. coil failing when hot? other ignition component? vapor lock? flakey fuel pump? TFI that only fails when extremely hot? any other ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Larry Fisk

my first thought would be spark plugs getting fouled and then just glowing when they get hot, you changed them so you can rule that out... if you have a tank that has compressed air in it, put it in the trunk and then go for a ride in the area to heat up the engine... when it kills you go to the fuel line and start letting the air hit it to cool it off and see if it will start... if it starts up then the fuel is the problem(you hve fuel lock).. put a shield over the fuel line to insulate it from the under hood heat(j.c. whitney catalog has something for that,

they might even show it on their web site).. or you might have an electrical problem with the heat causing high resistance and when the car cools off it starts right up... try the compressed air on the electrical parts and the box right under the plastic shield over the top of the radiator(might have to remove the plastic 8in. by 2 ft. long thats rigth over the top of the radiator held on by 4 to 6 screws). the old radio tech. used a compressed air in a can(about a 12 oz. can.. i think it was freon 12 which you cant get now, but it was great for finding the fault in an electrical item by reducing the heat the radio would work OK, so you knew that the resistor/capacitor, or what ever was bad and replaced it and the problem was gone... you might have to do the same thing to find the problem.......

Reply to
jim

Typical FORD flaw. It is a combination of your TFI and the pickup failing. I'm going through the same problem. I've talked to a few FORD dealers and they say that when they get this problem they change the module and the pickup. I'm going to do this on the weekend and see what happens.

Reply to
Tim B