92 Tempo - no brake lights - loose relay - where does it go?

My 92 Tempo has no brake lights besides the top one. All the bulbs are good. A relay (part #F19B9345A2A) has fallen out of the dash and was found on the floor. Ok, so plug it back in.. only problem is, I can't see where it goes!

I've pulled the panel below the steering column as far out as I can and still I don't see any place where this box should go. As it literally fell out while driving it must go up there somewhere!

If anyone knows where the relay that controls the brake lights belongs I'd be glad to hear it.

Any help appreciated!

Ron

Reply to
Ron Kneusel

sure it's not just a regular switch? if so it's pressed by the brake pedal arm, just start looking up from the brake. I believe my bird used a switch wthat worked by kind of a curved rocker mechanism, which I spent alot of time and irritation getting bent and mounted right to actuate the brake light properly. Brake lights are one thing that's a pain to check by yourself while your upside down under the dash, banging your head on the steering wheel over and over..lol

Reply to
Dark1

I found the part on Napa's site. It is a relay. It has a clip on it so it was once mounted to another plastic part. Finding that part is what I can't seem to do!

I agree.. working under the dash is a pain. Alas, if I were only 20 years younger! :)

Ron

Reply to
Ron Kneusel

Yeah, but he implies the 'third light' works. Thus ruling out a bad BOO switch.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

True there... so much for my attention span

Reply to
Dark1

Look just to the right of the fuse block. You'll probably find the connector dangling and see the area where it used to clip. My Son used to knock that loose all the time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

I was just going to mention that. That relay is pretty much a generic Ford relay used all over the car. Like Bill said, look near the fuse block as they get kicked by taller drivers, and on the other side of the column as theres a couple there. I don't remember a relay in the brake lamp circuit though. If the high mount lamp is working, this often points to a problem in the multi- function switch (turn signal switch).

Reply to
Tom Adkins