93 5.0L Mustang.. no spark

yesterday I started to drive my Mustang, the engine was running and acting normal. Then it was just like I turned off the key. It will crank over, it just doesnt start. I can hear the fuel pump start up
when I turn on the key. I pushed in the valve on the fuel rail. I get a small amount of fuel dribble out. Then turn key back on I hear the pump turn on then press the valve in again and get another small amount of fuel. So I assume I'm getting fuel ok. Next, i attached my timing light (has a clip that goes around spark plug wire) and turned over the engine, no light, looks like I'm not getting spark. Also, when I turn on the Key the Check Engine light stays lit, is it supposed to do that? i dont remember if it stays on until the engine is started. Could someone tell me how do I test the ECU? thanks for replys.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you have a TFI ignition module mounted to the distributor test that component and post your results. They have a history of failure on older/high mileage vehicles and there was even a recall/class action suit close to that vintage, but I don't know if your vehicle has one. My 1990 Escort GT would have qualified for a new TFI under the suite but I missed the boat.

Thanks for the Heads up on the TFI Module. Any chance you have a link for instructions on testing it?
I am sure you will soon have better answers with more detail but - that car uses EEC-IV controls if I remember right. Does your engine have a distributor? Reading codes isn't hard, do a google for EEC-IV testing or codes or something like that. Most manuals have the how-to as well. Shooting from the hip, with no spark, I would first check the TFI module. It controls spark and sudden failure can happen. You will likely need a manual to find it but it's mounted somewhere near the front of the engine compartment. If you find it, carefully remove it and take it to AutoZone or similar. They can test it for free.
I hope this helps - there are a lot of friendly and car-smart folks on here.
PoD

I do have a distributor and the TFI is mounted on the Distributor. I have an "E" code motor.
Paul of Dayon wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

module inside the disty below the rotor that goes bad that tells the system when to fire/spark the coil. Or I am completely off base because of the different engines, sorry if that's the case....
--
I. Care
There are two parts, a hall-effect unit inside the lower part of the distributor and also the TFI module. The TFI module used to be attached to the outside of the distributor but Ford decided it got too hot there. On my '93 Cougar, the TFI is on a large heat sink on the passenger side fender near the front. There is a electrical connection from the distributor to the TFI module. The module is flat, about 1 1/2" X 4". It has multiple electrical connections.

The stator (Hall effect sensor) is what died on mine a month ago. TFI module was first thought to be the problem but wasn't. There never was a code error. It started or didn't.
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
I had one of those fail once, too. It was on a car with the TFI attached to the distributor. The plastic of the Hall-effect piece crumbled. It was a real pain to replace. It required complete disassembly of the distributor.
PoD