93 aerostar

new to group. hope u can help me. i have a 93 ford aerostar with a 4.0, automatic trans, 2wd. my problem is that when i crank the engine, it will
try to start then stop and make a one time clunk sound. new starter, not it. took starter out and put trans in neutral, turned flywheel by hand, it turned for about 3/4 of a turn then "clunk". i'm trying to figure out what it is. i read somewhere that that perticular year they had a bad flywheel and were replacing it with a different one. could this be; flywheel?, torque converter?, transmission? any help would highly be appreciated. thanks in advance
--
Randall Koop
3704 SE 583 Drive
randall koop wrote:

Have your kids been driving the van recently?
Rob

You might have a point there. Pull the valve covers to see if there is any obvious damage to the valve train.
Bill
I think trainfan is thinking more along the lines of "there was a bad rattling noise and then a big bang and now it wont go...".
I set out to answer the original poster a few times but on proofread, I always sounded like the Grinch who stole Xmas....
For the original poster... turn the engine backwards and see if you get the same stop/clunk feeling.