93 Aerostar sliding door

The sliding door on our 93 Aerostar has quit opening. I've pulled all the interior trim off that side and can't see any latch mechanism, as it's inside the metal panel of the door. I can see the threads of the latch bolt
coming through above the speaker. When I rotate the interior handle or pull the exterior handle, there's a covered piece of metal rod that's visible through one of the access holes which appears to push back some against whatever's inside the door where the latch should be, but it doesn't open the door. The door is not locked.
I'm looking for ideas to either get the door open or remove it so I can get to the latch somehow.
Thanks in advance,
Pat Moore snipped-for-privacy@gatecliff.com