'93 Cougar - again - brakes

I am confused again. I replaced the rear drum shoes a few months ago. I have also replaced the drums, springs and hardware at that time. I just replaced both rear brake piston assemblies. I have been having trouble with one side since the first repair. It gradually tightens up so the brakes drag. The other side is always OK. If the new drum is out-of-round, would it do this? I have never felt fully comfortable with aftermarket drums... and sometimes the brakes pulsate a bit. It is about all I can think of, everything else checks OK.

I have been rebuilding drum brakes almost since I started driving... (disc brakes were kinda new, then...)

Thanks folks!

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Ummm... like make sure you have the proper adjustors on each side... labeled L and R ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

That wouldnt be it.. unless the adjustor pawl was wrong, too.

Have you been using the parking brake?

  1. Small brake surface front shoe, larger back

  1. Proper spring colors in proper places

  2. Parking brake cable moves freely

  1. Left side mirror image right side.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi Backyard-

I didn't have a chance switch sides on parts - I did one side, then the other. Oddly, the shoes are identical except for the pin that holds the adjuster in place.

I think I am going to loosen it, look it over again, then install the old drum again. If it stays loose, then I know it's the drum. I think the replacements are from China and I have since read bad things about them...

I'll let ya know if it fixes it.

Say, it's getting warm. We need to chat about poor AC performance soon.

Thanks!

Paul

Reply to
Paul of Dayon