93 cougar overheating

I've been reading other threads and i cant come up with an answer. i have a

1993 mercury cougar 3.8 non. it has had a bit of an overheating problem during the winter. last winter i replaced the thermostat, radiator, and water pump. the problem did not occur any more that year. ran perfect all throughout the summer. and now this winter im having the same problem. ive now replaced the thermostat countless times, and cant even guess how many times ive blead the system. before it overheats my heater does not work. i bought this car from my mother, when she had it she replaced the headgaskets at 130,000, it now has 195,000 on it. when i first bought it i replaced the manual fan with an electric, which i wired to a toggle inside the car so i know when its running and when its not. please help me out i love this car but im about ready to junk it.
Reply to
slaytanictillidie

My old 72 had that problem. It was a head gasket leak superheating the coolant. You need to do a blowdown test to see if your gasket is the problem. Of course you say it is fine in the summer. So it might not be the gasket. Does it lose coolant in the winter? Possibly because you use the heater in the winter and there is a leak somewhere there? My 89 Mustang had a heater core leak which was fine all summer but you smelled a little antifreeze in the winter as it would blow out. My old truck had the same issue but the heater core was under the hood so the leak water dripped outside. Easier to replace!

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
slaytanictillidie via CarKB.co

Take out your plugs one at a time and look for one that is much cleaner than the rest. THen you might have you answer.

Or, when you have no heat and its getting hot, go smell the exhaust vapors for sweet antifreeze smell and look for vapor coming out of the pipe.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz