93 Crown Vic 4.6L OHC

I appreciate anyones advice.

Engine hesitates when pushing the gas, and power is slugish. New plugs,wires,dist cap,air filter already done. AND..........if I unplug the MAF (mass air flow sensor) the engine stalls after reving it....so I guess it?s working properly.

BUT.... if I take the whole plastic air intake compartment out........I get immediate engine response and no hesitation but stalls of course after reving it up. I?m sure its another stupid sensor or a vacuum problem...but I need more info.

???? Anyone????

Thanks.

Reply to
Motorboy

Is there a check-engine lite on?

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

it appears under hard acceleration then disapears.

Kind of odd.

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:> >

Jean

It would probably be worth having the codes checked. AutoZone will do it for free in hopes you will buy whatever they tell you to replace. I can't quite figure why removing the plenum makes a difference except that it removes the MAF... The symptoms could be caused by a clogged fuel filter. They aren't awful to replace and don't cost much. If you haven't done it yet, it's time to do it anyway. It's in front of the rear wheel, drivers side.

I had some strange drivability problems and finally found a hole in a PCV tube. The PCV valve has a rubber tube connecting it to a metal tube but there is another small piece of rubber farther along. Mine had a bend in it and had opened. It was almost impossible to see but I heard the vacuum leak. A new tube made it run like new. It drove me nuts trying to figure out, tho. (I have a '95 CV)

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Thanks PoD,

Well that's twice......someone else also suggested that I might have a leak in my vacuum pvc hose somewhere so that makes sense to me. I haven't had time to check it out yet, but will do soon.

Thanks a bunch!