93 Crown Vic - Please tell me how to get to gauge pod?

Hi everyone.

I need to get access to the gauge pod in a 93 crown vic, this damn dash certainly does not come apart easy like my stang does. Some of the lights in the gauge pod need to be replaced and I can't figure out how to open the dash up to get to the pod. If someone can please give me instructions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sseaott
  1. pull off all the snap-in plastic stuff on the front of the dashboard (the simulated woodgrain crap).
  2. remove the 3 bolts that hold the cover below the steering wheel, as well as all the plastic stuff under the dashboard.
  3. remove all the (7 or8) screws holding the frame that holds on the movable vents to the dashboard.
  4. you may have to drop the steering wheel in order to perform # 3 above (4 nuts that hold up the steering column, and this will require you to release the cable that actuates the PRNDL indicator).
  5. remove the 4 screws that hold the instument cluster to the dashboard so that you can access the light bulbs - be VERY CARFUL when you pull back the cluster as there are 2 wiring cables attached to the cluster.

IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING, I WOULD ADVISE THAT YOU OBTAIN THE HAYNES MANUAL FOR YOUR CAR -- it's more detailed than the description that I gave above.

Also, you should replace ALL of the light bulbs when you have the cluster out, as you don't want to have to do it all over if a light bulb goes out again the week after you complete your job.

(I just did a heater core last week >Hi everyone.

Reply to
X-Eliminator

Thanks for the info. Why in the hell did they have to make this car this difficult to get into? My stangs take 5 minutes to open up. Exactly how long should this take me to do?

Reply to
Sseaott

You can probably do it in about 1 hour. Note that although you have an analog odometer & trip odometer, that there is NO SPEEDO CABLE -- it's ALL electronic. ==============================================================

You still have to remove the instrument cluster to get to the electrical connectors. Also, be sure to put all the nuts & bolts into ziplock bags or envelops and mark where they came from. I had several screws "left-over" when I did my heater core. Be happy that you don't have to replace the heater core -- that took me about 5 hours to completely R & R the dashboard & heater core plenum.

If you are not sure about being able to do this, I would get the Haynes manual and study it first.

X-Eliminator

Now I'm getting confused, this other guy told me all I had to do was this:

remove the switch knob, detacht trim panels. (the ones that run along the from side to side in the middle of the dash) simply and carfully pry to remove. then remove all the screws that hold the cover in place. once thats off you can get to the cluster you shouldnt have to drop the column. i would advise taking the cover off the stering colum (i forgot about that selctor) when you take the trim off it helps to tilt the wheel down and shift it to first then you can get the trim panel off easyer. been a while since i took one out of a 92+

Reply to
Sseaott

Reply to
X-Eliminator