93 Crown Vic - Please tell me how to get to gauge pod?

Hi everyone.
I need to get access to the gauge pod in a 93 crown vic, this damn dash certainly does not come apart easy like my stang does. Some of the lights in
the gauge pod need to be replaced and I can't figure out how to open the dash up to get to the pod. If someone can please give me instructions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.
1. pull off all the snap-in plastic stuff on the front of the dashboard (the simulated woodgrain crap). 2. remove the 3 bolts that hold the cover below the steering wheel, as well as all the plastic stuff under the dashboard. 3. remove all the (7 or8) screws holding the frame that holds on the movable vents to the dashboard. 4. you may have to drop the steering wheel in order to perform # 3 above (4 nuts that hold up the steering column, and this will require you to release the cable that actuates the PRNDL indicator). 5. remove the 4 screws that hold the instument cluster to the dashboard so that you can access the light bulbs - be VERY CARFUL when you pull back the cluster as there are 2 wiring cables attached to the cluster.
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING, I WOULD ADVISE THAT YOU OBTAIN THE HAYNES MANUAL FOR YOUR CAR -- it's more detailed than the description that I gave above.
Also, you should replace ALL of the light bulbs when you have the cluster out, as you don't want to have to do it all over if a light bulb goes out again the week after you complete your job.
(I just did a heater core last week on my '93 crown vic which required removal of all that crap - I also had to replace a light bulb while I was in there).
========================================================On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:27:24 -0400, "Sseaott" <Not so fast there Spammer!> wrote:>Hi everyone.

Thanks for the info. Why in the hell did they have to make this car this difficult to get into? My stangs take 5 minutes to open up. Exactly how long should this take me to do?
Also while I'm at it I might as well ask and I hope I don't get flamed for this:) If I just wanted to disconnect the gauge pod/instrument panel from the electric connector that it connects to to operate the pod, is there a easier way to do this or do I have to do what you told me to do for instance in changing the light bulbs in the pod?

in
On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:30:14 -0400, "Sseaott" <Not so fast there Spammer!> wrote:>Thanks for the info. Why in the hell did they have to make this car this

You can probably do it in about 1 hour. Note that although you have an analog odometer & trip odometer, that there is NO SPEEDO CABLE -- it's ALL electronic. =============================================================>

You still have to remove the instrument cluster to get to the electrical connectors. Also, be sure to put all the nuts & bolts into ziplock bags or envelops and mark where they came from. I had several screws "left-over" when I did my heater core. Be happy that you don't have to replace the heater core -- that took me about 5 hours to completely R & R the dashboard & heater core plenum.
If you are not sure about being able to do this, I would get the Haynes manual and study it first.

Now I'm getting confused, this other guy told me all I had to do was this:
remove the switch knob, detacht trim panels. (the ones that run along the from side to side in the middle of the dash) simply and carfully pry to remove. then remove all the screws that hold the cover in place. once thats off you can get to the cluster you shouldnt have to drop the column. i would advise taking the cover off the stering colum (i forgot about that selctor) when you take the trim off it helps to tilt the wheel down and shift it to first then you can get the trim panel off easyer. been a while since i took one out of a 92+

dash
lights
the
In my original post (point # 4), I stated that you "may" have to drop the steering wheel. You will ONLY find that out when you get to that point and find out that you can't get the cluster out. On my 1993 Crown Vic, I COULD NOT pull the cluster back without dropping the column because the column obstructed removal of the cluster - this was true even when putting the transmission selector into low gear and putting the tilt wheel into the lowest position. Your experience "may" be different -- you can't know this until you get to that point into the cluster removal. Dropping the wheel and having to put it back up is only about an extra 15 minutes on the length of the job. The inportant thing is you need to drop the column is to properly disconnect the PRNDL indicator because IT IS ATTACHED TO THE CLUSTER on the left side -- so you MUST disconnect this indicator. Since you HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE indisctor, YOU MUST remove the panels under the steering column because otherwise you can't access the indicator. Once you have dropped out the panels, it's only 4 nuts to drop the column. Move the front seat forward so you can rest the steering wheel on it.
This job has now been described ad nauseum -- you shouldn't have any problem with all the information that you have received. If there is any doubt, buy the Haynes manual for $15.99. =========================================================On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:15:15 -0400, "Sseaott" <Not so fast there Spammer!> wrote:>Now I'm getting confused, this other guy told me all I had to do was this: