'93 Crown Vic shudder going into high gear

Could this be an indication of a little plastic part on the linkage breaking?

Reply to
Dan

YAG-ART

Lubeguard Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fix worked for me. The real fix is a complete fluid change using Mercon V, I think. I got the Dr. Tranny as a stop-gap. It was instant, as advertised.

Paul

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Reply to
YAG-ART

No. Your trans is electronic and does not have this "feature". A complete service including draining the converter and addition of Lube Gard, Dr. Tranny's Shudderfix, etc. should do the trick. If the problem persists after a few hundred miles, the converter will need to be replaced. In many case, the trans itself is in good condition and converter replacement is all that is necessary to return it to proper operation. Removal of the trans will be required to do this which will include much of the labor cost required for an overhaul. Some shops will replace a converter with a good quality rebuilt one for $4-600USD as compared to $1200 or more for a complete rebuild. No shop I know will guarantee a converter only job. You can also try the el cheapo way of just adding the Shudderfix which leaves all the old contaminated broken down fluid in the trans. This is not a good practice snce the shudder is a result of some slippage and at least localized heating of the fluid to break it down even though the trans has not overheated.

Reply to
lugnut

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

I should add that you need to install an updated aftermarket converter solenoid while you have the pan off. It is fairly cheap at around $15USD and easy to do with the pan off by almost anyone competent to remove the pan in the first place. It provides a bit quicker converter lockup. Be sure you get the correct on for your year. The solenoid for the '96 and up is not compatible with your ECM and may destroy it. Ford may also be supplying these by now.

Reply to
lugnut

Reply to
Dan