93 Ford SHO Heater acting up

I have a Ford SHO and the heater is acting wierd. Even when I press off the unit goes full blast. I get heat and all the buttons on the bottom work. Also just before it did this the unit acting like it was gasping for breath.
No matter what I set it on, it would go up and down in fan speed. Any idea what's wrong? Thanks Bob
Blower controller.