'93 Lincoln Continental..

Hello all,
I picked this car up a couple of weeks ago with just 36,000 miles on it, unfortunately the engine check light is coming on intermittently. I
understand that you can't hook up a code scanner on this car, but you can read codes through the message center on the dash. How do I go about diagnosing this problem, or pulling out the engine codes?
Thanks,
Martin.
Yes, you can use a code scanner, but it has to be OBD1 compatible; the scan tool connector will be on the drivers side fender apron with the words "EEC TEST "; the message center in the dash, I believe, is only for displaying codes related to the climate control system. If this car has been sitting for a while, no doubt with that mileage, and the engine runs normally, I would just ignore the code for now, as whatever intermittent concern might be there could clear itself.