93 Lincoln Continetal Problems..

Hello all,

The first problem is the "Service" light on the instrument cluster, this comes on when you initially start the car then goes out after a minute or two. It cones on again when you hit the "System Check" button and the system check runs, then goes out after the system check is complete, is there a way to turn this off?

Also, when you turn the ignition switch to the first position (instruments light up, but engine hasn't started yet), the check engine light comes on along with the charging system light, they both flash and beep, when you twist the key again and start the car both go out and never return. When you hit the "System Check" button it run's through the checks and everything appears normal, does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin S.

The light probably goes on during the system check so you can verify that the light works.

There probably is not a way to turn this off. A good way to avoid the problem is to not hit the system check button. But it is good that the light goes on. That way you know the system is working.

Sounds like the car is working normally. The charging system light comes on because the charging system isn't working. It doesn't work well when the engine isn't working. So this is normal behavior.

The check engine light comes on for similar reasons. Another reason why the car is made so both lights come on during start up is so you can see that the lights work.

The car is working normally.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't think you understood correctly what I was explaining, the car isn't working normally by any means, both the behaviours I described below never used to happen until recently, so it isn't "normal". The service light never used to come on, period, not one single time until recently, so probably it needs to be turned off by the dealer or an EEC coder scanner. All the warning lights go through their self check and turn off, which is normal, then the check engine light and charging light come on and continue to flash and beep, which is far from normal, until you start the car.

If anyone else can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Martin.

Reply to
Martin S.

When the light comes on and the car runs bad.... it means that something needs to be fixed. Turning the light "off" will do nothing to fix the car.

Since the engine light is coming on, the first step would be to find out just what it is trying to tell you or your mechanic..... Diagnostic trouble codes are a great tool in the hands of the experienced and a great waste of time and money in the hands of some others.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well it doesn't need to be turned off. But, you have codes. Get them. That is the first step.

Also, you could have told us the other symptoms.

I assumed you just bought the car and was wondering why the lights were behaving that way.

Reply to
Jeff

They were no "other" symptoms, no know what they say, assumption is the mother of all f**k ups.....

Reply to
Martin S.

So the only thing different is that the car has some lights that come on and then go off? The 14- or 15-year old car is running well otherwise? Don't waste your money. Drive the car and forget it or have the codes read and forget it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Martin S." wrote

Are you saying your "Service" light is separate from the "check engine" light?

Any chance this is like the Service light in the speedo of my 88 T-Bird, that's basically just a reminder that it's time to change the oil?

After a certain number of miles (5000?), it comes on each time I start the car, and turns itself off after driving about 2 miles. I hold Trip and Trip Reset to shut it off for another 5000.

Reply to
MasterBlaster