'93 Ranger

My '93 Ranger v6, automatic seems to shifting back and forth, runs kind of jerky. Doesn't seem like an engine miss, more like changing gears. Maybe electric clutch coming in and out?
Leaning toward throttle position sensor. Got a pass on code readout tho'. Thanks for any help.

Does it do it in D position as well as OD?
Do a search in this group on google groups alt.autos.ford
Could be the VSS, how does the cruise control work?
I'll have to try in OD, the cruise drops out when it does it. I was referring to the torque converter clutch. Don't know exactly how it works, think it kicks in and makes a direct drive. What is VSS? Thanks, HP

Sorry for not getting back, surprised no-one else helped... sounds like the VSS to me...OR possible the MLPS which tells the PCM (computer) what gear the trans thinks it's in.
The VSS is the sensor at end of speedo cable on the tran tailshaft. Could also be wiring from same.
gpapa9 wrote:

there are no electric clutches in auto transmissions.. however there are electric solenoids.. but thats not it either i dont think..... what trans is it?