93 T-bird ran outta gas now wont start please help

yesterday i ran out of gas , my gas gauage doesnt work , anyway i put gas in the car and tryed to start it and it started right uo put sounded like an old airplane sputtering and making air noises , it wouldnt stay running for any length of time , and then wouldnt start at all except for the starter motor turning if you can understand my description i hope someone can please help if you need more infoi will do m best thank you Susan

Reply to
bravecougar

When you ran it out of gas, you may have fried your fuel pump. It depends upon the fuel in which it is immersed for cooling. When the gas guage doesn't work, you have to fill it frequently to make sure it doesn't run out.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

lugnut, you were absolutely no help whatsoev DUH now could someone give me some real help?

Reply to
bravecougar

No one can diagnose your car for you without some specific information. For starters, what's your fuel pressure? If you can't provide that tidbit of information don't piss and moan about whatever help you do or don't get..... Bob

Reply to
Bob

Do you even understand what he's telling you? MAY BE A BAD PUMP- NO FUEL BEING PUMPED!

Reply to
Rick

Let me guess, you're not a mechanic and you're car is busted. You come to usenet for free advice and you're not happy with what's been offered.

BOO FREAKIN HOO. Get a mechanic or a manual and git-r-done yourself.

Reply to
sleepdog

You may have a damaged fuel pump, a clogged filter, or a bad or clogged injector. There also might just be air in the fuel rails.

First, do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to on, before going to the start position? Probably. Next, find a fuel pressure gauge that is designed to connect to the fuel rail fitting that looks like a tire valve. There should be one on each side of the engine. If I remember right, the fuel rails are bright metal. If you can get the car to run, report the pressure readings here. Expect somewhere over 30 lbs. Don't use a tire gauge.

If you have never changed the fuel filter, get one when you get the gauge. They are cheap and aren't hard to replace, they sit right in front of the rear drivers side wheel. Replace the filter first. Usually there are instructions in the box.

If you still have trouble, there may be air in the fuel rails. I can't remember which models and years were affected but some would get that way if they ran out of gas. VERY CAREFULLY, release some pressure from each side, just like letting air from a tire. This is best done with the engine off, right after moving the key to on and then back to off. Fuel will come out so don't be smoking or making sparks. Try to catch it in a can so it won't go everywhere. Do this a couple of times for each side. You may need to move the key back to on, then off to make enough pressure to complete the task. Clean up spilled fuel, then start the engine and see if it is better. Let us know.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

By the way, if any of what I just listed seems difficult or scary, call a mechanic. I am assuming you have some mechanical skills or you wouldn't have asked here - but you sure don't want to go from a chugging Cougar to a burning one!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

You are quite welcome. I am sure there is a clairevoyant here somewhere with a much better crystal ball than mine. The fact remains the it failed after you ran out of gas. A failed fuel pump is not uncommon under these conditions. And who was it driving around without a fuel guage?

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Normally I would stay out of this kind of discussion, but lately, this has been happening alot on this newsgroup.

Just so we all know, who was the one driving the car around knowing full well the gauge wasn't working, let the car run out of gas and obviously wasn't carrying any extra fuel with him?

DUH yourself. Don't expect much help from this group with an attitude like that. There are alot of knowledgeable people on this newsgroup, treat them with respect and they'll do the same for you.

BTW, if this isn't the first time the vehicle has run out of fuel while the gauge wasn't working, there is a very good chance you HAVE burned out the pump. Once the fuel in the tank gets below the pump, it no longer keeps it cool because it is not submerged in it anymore. Until you get that gauge working, make it a habit of keeping a 5 gallon jug of fuel in your trunk, in case this happens again. But it sounds like you'll be dropping the tank to replace the pump, so you may as well replace the sending unit while you're down there.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

not just that the fuel keeps pump cool ... have you guys ever cut one open? wow they suck fuel is also he lubricant for the bushings in said pumps ... even scarier is that the dc motor brushes are also immersed in fuel .... all that arcing ... well i guess with no oxygen in there thats why you dont explode......... lol

Reply to
Rob

THANK YOU PAUL your response was exactly what i was looking for and it is greatly appreciated I'm going to get a fuel pump today

after reading it and follwing your GOOD advise i found i didn't run out of gas the pump just went out

I don't know why this kind of response was so hard for the others in this group and i could respond in a manner like they did as well but i don't have to ,

thank's again Paul see you around Dayton and HEAVEN beyond Susan

Reply to
bravecougar

Be sure you repair the fuel guage while you are at it. The fuel pump relies on having fuel in the tank to cool and lubricate it. If it repeatedly runs low on fuel, it is only a matter of time 'til it goes again. BTW, I see my assessment response in your initial post was accurate. Had you asked for help in diagnosing the problem to start, you would not have been nearly as irritated. You only asked what the problem may be.

Glad to have helped. No apology for your response is required.

You're still welcome Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

You can blame your sarcastic reply to Lugnut and the little digs in your "thank you" to Paul for the response you got...

Reply to
Rick

It's true, Lugnut had the right diagnosis. I am glad you found the problem and and happy for whatever help I was. I can't take credit for the right response, tho. Lugnut is a good mechanic and has helped many here, including me a few years ago. Welcome to the group, read it regularly even if you don't have a problem. I have been doing my own repairs for 35 or so years, I still learn stuff here every week.

Since you have to drop the tank, I suggest putting the whole sending unit/fuel pump assembly in. That way, everything in the tank is new. As Lugnut said in his reply, fixing the guage will prevent this happening again. A new sending unit is a good place to start.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

dont worry lug

she is fat and has a yeast infection she likes to run out of gas if ya know what i mean

hurc ast

Reply to
eltonisafaggot13

i cant believe that after a few years of crappy fuel sending units (when the switched from nichome wried units to ceramic carbon resistors) ford did not go back the the older tried and true style..... you would think that after a few warranty fuel guages and pumps that it would offset the cost of the old style senders...........

Reply to
fireater