93 T bird.............Rear End??

Hi all, today it was a 93 T-Bird, was towed into the shop with a blown brake line. Car had sat for about 3 years.............. Went to drive it in, backed up, went forward, went OK for about 20 feet,(this is a gravel lot) and the rear seemed like it was locked up. The left rear lire was spinning like crazy,but could not get the car to go. Thought it was the E brake hung, but the right rear cable is broken, so don't think so...... Tried to pull the right wheel/drum, but has one of those keyed lug nut's and then could not find the lug nut tool. Went back out, grabbing the wheel at 12:00 and 6:00 did notice some play in the rear bearing, but noticed I was able to move the wheel slightly forward and backwards about 1/4 of an inch. The customer found the lug nut tool, so I will remove the wheel/drum tomorrow, but with the way I can move the wheel slightly forward and backwards about 1/4 of an inch, it don't seem like it's in the brakes at this point. I tried to move it several times, and the left rear would just burn out. I ran the car on stands in drive,but only the left rear would move. even with the car in drive (on stands) left rear spinning fine, still could only move right rear wheel about 1/4 of an inch forward and backwards.

So I guess my question is............. can a rear end do this........? just lock up on the one side. Is there a history of, or problems with this rear end? Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

"ANTHONY DIODATI" wrote in news:P0c6h.1886$m72.188@trnddc03:

sounds like the brake drum has rusted to the brake shoes, have fun getting the drum off. it is pretty common. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Thanks,might have been,we got the lug nut tool,and got the wheel and drum off, was not too bad to get off, I was suprised, had to pry it and hammer a little. Seems to be OK now. Wheel cylinder was not frozen either,like I thought it might be. Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI