93 Taurus 3.8L Alternator replacement problem

I'm trying to install a new alternator. I'm putting one bolt in the new one, then slipping the belt in place, then attempting to install the final bolt.
When replacing accessories, usually prying with one hand and starting the bolt with the other hand has worked for me.
On the Taurus, there is no obvious place to pry. I even tried the unusual step of putting the small bolt in first and the pivot bold last. Due to the tight clearance, I could not overcome to belt tension and get the hole lined up.
I thought of removing the belt tensioner bolt, or the idler pulley, but it seems to me that I'd end up with the same problem if I try to get those on last. And they are in harder to reach locations.
What is the best way to do it?
I'm out of time for today, so any suggestions that I can try tomorrow would be appreciated.
--
Tony Sivori
Ok, I might have found my mistake.
"Tony Sivori" wrote:

According to Rockauto's pictures, the square hole is cast into the tensioner arm, right behind the pulley itself.
Here's their picture of a Dayco tensioner... click on the little left / right arrows to get a front / rear view of the assembly. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk 0354
And on the off chance the arrows don't work with your browser... Front view:
http://info.rockauto.com/Dayco/89217FRO.jpg
Back view:
http://info.rockauto.com/Dayco/89217BA.jpg