93 Taurus, 3.8l : sporradic stalling

3.8l engine, 120k miles, new tranny, new VSS.

My story: It stalled a couple of times last fall. It was too sporradic, so I avoided the big dealer finding fees. In the winter, it ran solid. In the spring it stalled again a couple of times and as the months progressed, so did the problem. This weekend was determined to deal with it and need some suggestions as to what I should look for:

While driving on the freeway (humid, warm weather conditions) the car will just cut out without any warning. No acceleration, deceleration detected.. just cut out. At that time, I throw it into neutral, let it coast for about 30 seconds and it starts up again, by the 3rd struggling crank. In the city, I have happened it as well. No particular gear. Hasn't done it on hard acceleration. Only light tapping and coasting. It only cuts out when the engine is well warmed up. I ran it once on idle for over an hour and it held on.

I am suspectinng some electrical problem with the increased temperature since I read numerous testimonies on the TFI flaw.

Also, I read in another posting that added pressure in the tank could be the problem (but highly unlikely, since w/out decompressing the tank it starts shortly after) This car has had a venting flaw since day 1. During warm/hot weather, pressure builds up in the tank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
DuctTaped

These are good tips. Unfortunatly with all the gadgets on these cars its real hard to diagnose. i would run a code scan first and see what that tells you. there a pretty good Chiltons book for Sabble/Taurus From 89-96 Most decent auto parts store will carry it, Possibly even Autozone. I have it and it has all the codes in the back of it. it will also show you how to retrieve codes with a jumper .it will pulse the check engine light on the dashboard for code retrieval. Kinda like Morse code.

For what its worh it sounds to me like some type of fuel problem. You can do a Cheap Fuel filter change. i changed mine just last week. $8.00 from Autozone. its possible somting in the fuel filter is causing an intterment clog. and when the fuel pressure drops, the clog drops away. Maybee a long shot, but sure is cheap enough to rule out. just change it. Mine was located on the passenger side,underneeth, just in front of the tank.

PS check for a ping pong ball in your tank. It used to be an old joke to play on someone and drive them crazy.

Good luck.

Reply to
Techie