'93 Taurus - Changing spark plugs

Hi There,

My girlfriend has a 1993 Ford Taurus that is way overdue for a nice tuneup... of the 5 cars I've owned and the MANY other cars I have helped with, changing the Spark plugs has always been a 10 minute job. After taking a look at hers, it appears this wont be the case. I have no idea how to even access the 3 plugs at the back. Is there some trick to make this go smoothly? I have all the tools the average home mechanic normally has (probably more then average actually) so that shouldnt be an issue.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Lawrence

I take it this is a 3.8? Do it with the engine cold, from the drivers side, get right up on the motor, lay your chest on the intake manifold. Put your hand down and feel the exhaust manifold and find each plug wire, it get's hot back there and you'll probably have to spend a bit to twist and remove the boots. After that take your plug socket with a 3' extension on it, and fit it on the plug, then slip the ratchet on and remove. It looks worse that it is.

Reply to
Michael O

Yeah sorry it is the 3.8L engine. Well that doesnt sound too bad really! I will definitely give it a go then! Thank you very much for the advice!

Reply to
Kevin Lawrence