93 Taurus GL.... Ignition key broke off in switch.

My key broke off in the ignition switch. My car has an air bag. How hard is it to change the switch out? What tools would be needed?

Reply to
Larry Roberts

hey here it is from the 93 ford, taurus/sable shop manual....... Ignition switch removal and installation.. 1-disconnect battery 2- remove lower instrument panel lower steering column cover 3-rotate kig key lock cylinder to run position

5-remove the two screws retaining ign.switch 6-disengage the ign switch from the actuator

installation: Note... the new replacement switch assemebly will be set in the run position as received

1-adjust the ign. swithc by sliding the carrier to the switch run position. 2-make sure the ign. keyu lock cylinder is in the Run position.. the run positon is achieced by rotation the key lock cylinder approx. 90 degrees from the lock position.. 3-install the ign. swithc in i9ntothe actuator.. it may be necessary to move the switch slightly back and forth to align the switch mounting holes with the column lock housing threaded holes. 4-install retaingnig screws 50-70 llb. inch 5 install the elect. connector to the ign. switch. 6-conenct battery...make sure the column is locked in the locki position....
Reply to
jim

Oh, forgot to tell you that the air bag is not messed with.. you are removing the plastic covering below that(the air big is in the steering wheel, which is not touched... and you might call a locksmith and see if he can fish it out instead of going the route of replacing the whole switch).....

Reply to
jim

i checked

National Auto Parts, they got a lock for the ign. on a 93 taurus for $39.99.. the reason i looked it up is my key on my 93 taurus comes out when the engine is running and i was thinking of replacing it or either pulling the lock off and see what is going on there(when the weather warms up..kinda cold to be outside working on a car now).....

Reply to
jim

The only problem with this is that the key is broke off in the tumbler which is separate from the switch. The tumbler comes out easily if the key can still be turned to the run position. He just needs to use a pick and push the retainer pin up into the tumbler. If the key no longer works he needs to either get brave with a drill or call a locksmith.. Bob

Reply to
Bob