93 Taurus hard brake pedal after first push

I have a 93 Taurus and it has developed a hard brake pedal. It seems to work fine when you first press the breaks but then the pedal gets real hard to push. If you let off and push again, it work good for second or two. It is almost like the power booster does not hold a vacuum. Is this an ABS problem? I am not even sure I have ABS system. Any help would be appreciated.

Dorian

Reply to
Dorian

Dorian opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Assuming it otherwise is starting or idling properly:

Disconnect the IAC harness on the throttle body.. then when you push in the pedal -idle in park-, does the engine speed change a lot?

Yes, would be a leak in booster. No, inspect the check valve where vac line goes into booster. Real dirty? could still be a bad booster, clogged internal valving.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic