93 Taurus heater hoses

Hey guys, I have a 93 Taurus wgn with a 3.8. Yesterday I had a touch of steam coming from somewhere along the heater hose leading to the top of the water pump. I
checked but found nothing wet; no drips, no puddles. As my water level is low, again, I decided to change the hoses. I found that the hose in question is a rubber / steel / rubber affair. Is that necessary for engine heat protection, or can I sub out some all rubber hose instead? Thanks.
--
jeff wald
"We're all like a piece of corn in the colon of life; just passing through."
jeff wald wrote:

You can go with all rubber, within reason. If a bend looks too tight, it probably is. If replacing long runs of metal with rubber remember to support it ever so many inches. Take very good care of the cooling system on that 3.8 Taurus. Head gaskets are the weak link and meticulous cooling system service is the key to prolonging the agony.