93 Taurus motor mount bolt

Got to looking at my wife's car today after she complained of noise and clunks. Thought for sure the motor mounts were gone. I looked at the front one close and discovered the single mount bolt which bolts through the mount into the block was GONE! Well, now i got to find a bolt to replace it. Anyone have any idea on what size of bolt this takes? The lower one was still in the subframe.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

maybe the dealer wont charge you a finger for one? just a large bolt right?

Reply to
Petebert

Yes, its just a large bolt. If i knew the size, sae or metric and thread pitch i would go down to the hardware store and buy one. But with it gone, that makes it kind of tough.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

The dealer should be able to tell you the thread and length over the phone. I once went to the dealer for two bolts and instead of selling me the bolts, he just told me to go to the hardware store and get such and such a bolt. nice guy..

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I've lost the RF motor mount bolt three times in 12 months on my '91

3.0L. It's a 7/16" NC bolt. I don't remember the length....something like 1". The length is not that critical anyway because if I remember correctly the tapped hole is a through hole.

The first time it fell out, I had a garage replace it. They used a lock washer and it lasted 3 days. The second time it fell out, I did it myself and used blue Loctite and it lasted a week. The third time it fell out I used red Loctite and it's lasted 2 months so far.

I think you should use the hardest bolt you can get because I've read user group stories about this bolt. In one instance, I read that the bolt actually sheared off. You do NOT want to have to extract that sucker.

-jeff

Reply to
jeff

I thought 92 when they went to the second gen body style is when they changed the front mount. The newer gen 2 type style is like a big liquid filled donut. I remember changing a mount on my 90 and the bolts where side ways and i had to go through the wheel well as i recall. Its definitely different then the 93 type. This is a single bolt directly into the block facing the radiator.

I Went to the Fraud dealer. What do you think they wanted for the bolt? $40. Even with my discount, it was $30. No way i am paying $30 for a bolt. The parts guys could not tell me generically what it was.

I assume this would be a metric bolt with course threads? I may end up at the u pull it yard yet. But that would be a big pain in the ass to do.

BOb

Reply to
BOB URZ