93 Taurus: sporradic stalling

3.8l engine, 120k miles, new tranny, new VSS.
My story: It stalled a couple of times last fall. It was too sporradic, so I avoided the big dealer finding fees. In the winter, it ran solid.
In the spring it stalled again a couple of times and as the months progressed, so did the problem. This weekend was determined to deal with it and need some suggestions as to what I should look for:
While driving on the freeway (humid, warm weather conditions) the car will just cut out without any warning. No acceleration, deceleration detected.. just cut out. At that time, I throw it into neutral, let it coast for about 30 seconds and it starts up again, by the 3rd struggling crank. In the city, I have happened it as well. No particular gear. Hasn't done it on hard acceleration. Only light tapping and coasting. It only cuts out when the engine is well warmed up. I ran it once on idle for over an hour and it held on.
I am suspectinng some electrical problem with the increased temperature since I read numerous testimonies on the TFI flaw.
Also, I read in another posting that added pressure in the tank could be the problem (but highly unlikely, since w/out decompressing the tank it starts shortly after) This car has had a venting flaw since day 1. During warm/hot weather, pressure builds up in the tank.
Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds to me like a TFI problem, if it's sudden. If you haven't had any problems trhat would point to the fuel system or engine controls (rough idle, no pickup, etc.), then I bet the heat sink grease on the back of the TFI has dried up. When it gets hot, it'll stop working, just like that.
You'll want to pull the codes to see what's really going on (all you need on a '93 is a paperclip and the Check Engine light. See http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html or search for "ECC-IV codes"; the Taurus uses the 3 digit codes). If the TFI or the PIP (inductive pickup inside the distributor) is having trouble, the computer will throw a code. On my '93 with the 3.0l engine, the EEC Test connector is on the passenger side of the firewall near the blower motor.

My Taurus does this too, but I haven't had any driveability or stalling problems because of it. It probably could use a new gascap, however.
-lee
Before you go to all the trouble of ripping out the fuel pump, give the inertia switch a good going over. I had almost the same problem where the car would die in the middle of driving, and I would have to get out and fool around with the switch in the trunk. Even if it's not it, it only takes a few minutes to check it and it's worth it not to rip the gas tank apart.
al

This is exactly what my mustang did. Down to the last detail. All I did was remove the TFI module from the distributor, put new grease on it and bolt it back down. Problem solved for less than 5 bucks.