93 Taurus SW - what to fix next?

Subject is a 93 Taurus SW, owner since new, with 106,000, runs well.

What should I expect to fix next? I try to do preventive maintenance I can schedule for warmer days. Working on a cold concrete floor, in cold weather on a cold car is getting tough for a 60 year old.

Regards, Bill

Here is the cars history: Oil changed - 106,720 - 12/15/03

New Starter - miles 106,318 - 12/10/03

Rear brake pads replaced - miles 105,406 - 9/1/03

Brakes flushed - miles 105,014 - 8/19/03

Serpentine belt replaced - miles 104,792 - 8/12/03

Power steering system flushed - miles 104,792 - 8/12/03

Transmission flush - miles 99,559 - 7/19/02

New water pump and large front hoses - miles 92,729 - 2/28/01

Front brakes pads and brake flush - 82,614 - 11/17/99

Power steering pump - miles 80,281 - 7/28/99

Replace CVC boot left front axel - miles 80,281 - 7/28/99

Battery - Wal-Mart - 12/5/99

Reply to
Bill

Bill, you have done a pretty good job. The battery will probably get you in the not so distant future. they seem to last only 3 or 4 years anymore.

Replace the fuel filter if you have not.

Be on the look out for the cruise control dropping out or erratic trannie shifts. Typical VSS failure symptoms.

Keep an eye for loss of coolant. If its a 3.8, it could be signs of head gasket. Otherwise, the plastic tanks and seams on the radiators seem to micro crack and leak or leak at the seams.

Look real close at the small vacuum hoses on the front and the back of the motor. If you look real close, you will probably find some severely cracked and leaking in need of replacement.

Keep a close eye on the donut motor mounts. They break open and leak and cause the motor to flop around some.

If you never have had your TFI ignition module replaced, you might want to keep a spare along with the special little tool to remove the screws.

Open your hood at night with the motor running and look for arcing on the plug wires. if you see any sparking, replace them.

My 93 has 160K+ on it and still going strong. The rack has a few issues, but still operational.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

I've got a '95 wagon (LX) and the cruise control doesn't work. How do you check if it's the VSS and how do I replace it?

Reply to
Detailing Dude