93 Tempo Hi Revs

I have a 93 Tempo, standard transmission. Only after the car has been running for a while and when I release the gas pedal and start to gear down for a traffic light or such, the engine will continue to rev at about 3,000
rpm. I usually put the car in neutral, kick it down a couple of times and it eventually returns to idle.
Cables are good so I am thinking a sensor but which one, were would it be located and how would I test it.
Thanks,
corky opined in

Throttle position sensor or possibly a bad PCM system ground... check the strap between engine block and body, and ground connections in wiring harness near the "computer"
No i dont know where it is in that model.