94 Aerostar transfer case

Does anyone have a detailed veiw of one of these cases? What I am looking for is info on the clutch pack and power going to it. What form of 4wd are these cases? Are they aways in 4wd and only when slippage is
detected that they are locked up(similar to what jeep used to have)? Or are they 2wd. I am supposed to have a traction lock rearend on mine but I can spin one wheel, I know the actuator isn't working becase a 2 blink code on the idiot light. But even without the actuator working is this still in 4wd?