94 ATX SHO..Barely runs.

I'm new to Ford, so bear with me. My grandfather left his SHO with me (with the intentions of eventually giving it to me), and it was making a huge whining noise, which I figured out was the altenator. I took off the belt to see if the car made the noise without the altenator spinning, and the breaker bar I was using snapped back on the tensioner and swung into the credit-card sized sensor on the intake runner. The car ran fine with it's whining altenator after I put the belt back on for about 5 miles, then it started bucking and surging. It ran well enough to get me home, and now it barely runs. I can't even move it up the hill in front of my house to get it into my driveway.

I was hoping it was the altenator finally giving out, so I replaced it The noise stopped, but the car still barely runs at all. Actually, it runs worse, probably because I tapped the sensor with the wrench again. If I smack the top of the intake with my palm right over that sensor the intake runner right above that sensor (if someone would describe it's name and function to me, it would help me greatly!) the car's state will change, meaning that it will either stall completely or run slightly better for a bit. Anyways. Would me hitting that sensor with the breaker bar actually cause these symptoms? What does that sensor do, and what's it going to cost me? I know there are some SHO's in my friendly local junkyard, so would it be viable to pull that part from a junkyard? Any help is appreciated!

-Sam (ford is not making a good first impression! jk)

Reply to
samueltNODAMNSPAM

Well let me start by suggesting that you will probably like that SHO if you get over this fit of Pique...

But tell me this... and thanks for being honest about it... WHY the flip are you blaming the car, even in jest, for a mistake you made?

Whatever... you KNOW the problem, you can alter the problem mechanically, and, yes, salvage sensors OF THE SAME PART# should work fine

here's a pic:

{copy and paste the whole thing] I assume you mean the one in the center of the cross feed tube

Did you whack it, or the harness connector... make sure wires arent hurt

Sam Tosi!!!!@#!! opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Just occurred to me that looks a lot like an ignition module connector

Backyard Mechanic opined

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I love this car. My grandparents have had it for a few years, and I've driven it plenty. Been in it going 130, so I know it's capabilities :o)

I was born into a mostly GM family...

I guess it is an ignition module of some sort. The car will not run with it unplugged, and I took it off the cross feed and the module rattles. I assume it's not supposed to rattle.

The wires seem fine. It got whacked pretty well right in the center with the breaker bar. Luckily, the module is sized so it will fit in one's pocket at a junkyard. Not that I'd do that sort of thing. You can trust me ;-D

-Sam

Reply to
samueltNODAMNSPAM

Sorry to throw this in....

But you sound like a juvenile delinquent. Bragging that you were driving 130 mph (60 mph faster than the posted limit) then implying theft from a scrap yard. Do you know what it is like losing a loved one at the hands of some idiot that wanted to see how fast his car will go? Would you mind if the scrap yard owner came into your house and helped himself to some of your personal belongings that fit in his pocket?

Grow up.

mechanically,

Reply to
Jim P

We've got one yard dog trained for people like you. If we aren't present and some hapless customer decides to put something in his/her pockets he bites.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

I'm with Jim P on this.

This kid is too flippant and wet-eared to own a car like that.

It's not the doing 130, alone, or the implied intent of theft, or the original statement about "ford is not making a good first impression!" when the obvious is that the kid destroyed the part himself.

But all of them together add up to one who's too immature to own a performance car.

In other words, Sam.. you impressed us but you impressed us the wrong way.

Grow up quick or dont grow up at all.

Jim P opined in news:4170017a$0$25872$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.dsl.net:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sam-

I suspect you hit the DIS module, it is about the size of a credit card and usually grey. It is located on the intake crossover tube (on the pass side). You may want to check and make sure one of the plugs didn't get knocked loose (there is one on each side of the DIS). That module is an ignition component and if it is damaged it will cause problems (if it is unplugged the engine will not fire). You may also want to check that none of the wires got pulled from the connectors or are damaged.

It also seems to me that the connector/wires for the CPS (Crank Position Sensor)run up into that general area from under the timing belt covers. It is unlikely you hit that, but if it was that could also generate the symptoms you are listing.

Since the "barely running" problem has started, have you gotten a check engine light? If so have you tried pulling the codes from the computer?

I would start with the DIS and related wiring and then go from there.

Dave

94 SHO ATX

Sam Tosi!!!!@#!! wrote:

Reply to
Dave Hammond

Never said I was driving the car when it was going that fast. My uncle was :oP.

I paid for the part. 20 bucks. And the car is fixed now. Sorry to make the wrong impression.

Bite me.

-Sam

Reply to
samueltNODAMNSPAM

Flippant? Towards whom?

I admitted that I had destroyed it myself, before I made fun of Ford's famous quality. And, I didn't steal the part. I paid for it, and the car runs wonderfully now.

Big step up from my Chevy Celebrity wagon.

Sorry you feel that way.

Is there another choice?

-Sam

Reply to
samueltNODAMNSPAM

How nice of your uncle. Very good of him to set a great example for his nephew. I see where you get it from now. (Genetics)

Like I said, grow up. My 15 and 12 year old would never say a thing like that to an adult. Somebody of your mentality should not be given the keys to an automobile Stick with a riding a bike, it makes the roads a safer place. The last thing we need on the road is another snot-nosed kid that thinks he knows it all and done it all.

Reply to
Jim P