94 Bird AC fan switch

Hi all !

Never had this problem before. Now that the weather has gotten hot, the fan on my AC/vent has decided to quit working. I looked in the owner's manual and it is hard to tell if there is a fuse for this.

There is one listed in the "high current" section for a BLOWER. But, I didn't see any fuse listed for a fan motor in the regular fuse section.

On Friday, the 15th, the fan did come on a couple of times, but the next time I started the car, it wouldn't work at all. So now we are confused: Is the problem the switch on the dash or is it a fuse (either regular or hi current)?

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Gerri

Reply to
Gerri

I have a '97 Contour.

I had a problem with the resistor not working on my blower. This caused the motor to work on only the high-speed setting. Apparently, I had a bad switch, too, which caused the to go off once or twice in high speed, as well.

The resistor was changed twice and the switch once (the mechanic who changed the switch didn't test it - the resistor burned up again and the dealership had to eat it, but the first resistor replacement was under warranty).

So possible causes include loose or corroded wires, a bad ground, bad resistor and bad fan motor. For the fuse, you should be able to determine which ones it may be from the owner's manual and check those.

You should also check and see if there are any recalls. Some recalls last as long as you own your car. Others last only for 10 years or

150,000 mi or another time/mileage limit.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sorry for the double post. If the fuse blows, usually the fuse is off (open) period. The conductor is permanently burned out, and no current will ever go through the fuse again.

So if the motor goes on and off at all, I doubt it's the fuse.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In addition to checking the blower resistor, switch and motor as Jeff mentioned, this is often one of the earliest signs of ignition switch failure on that vintage Ford. Pull the trim off of the column and make sure the ignition switch isn't separating or showing signs of getting hot.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Intermittent? Most likely the blower motor connector. See:

Sharon Cooke