94 cougar odometer

Before I start tearing stuff apart, anyone ever encountered a non working odometer in a 94 vintage cougar? Speddo works fine, odometer and trip odometer not working. Seems to hae stopped right after I reset it.

Mechanically, easy to get open? Easy to get out of dash?

Any thoughts on it appreciated.

GeorgeC george at dyb dot com

Reply to
GeorgeC

..... anyone ever encountered a non working odometer in a 94 vintage cougar? Speedo works fine, odometer and trip odometer not working. Mechanically, easy to get open? Easy to get out of dash? _____________________________________________

there is nothing to fix on that unit, it is electrically controlled by the vehicles computer. the only way to fix it is to swap out the cluster for another one. it is fairly simple to do, takes me about 1 hour, and I check all the light bulbs while I have it apart.

Sometimes these symptoms are caused by corroded terminals in the connector to the instrument cluster. Try disconnecting and reconnecting it several times.

Good luck.

Reply to
Rodan

Tom is right, if the speedo works but the odometer doesn't you need a new speedo head, which includes the odometer. No amount of disconnecting and reconnecting will fix it Bob

Reply to
Bob