94 Crown Vic Erratic Steering

The tires are fine, the alignment is fine, the fluid level is fine. Car won't steer straight, goes back and forth left and right, the steering is still power (not hard as if there is no power steering).
The steering is totally treacherous and is extremely dangerous.....thanks again for your help.
snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to know too, my 1999 Grand Marquis has the same condition (although I didn't have the alignement checked yet)
AS I just bought the car, if there's something wrong, I'll bring the bill back to the car dealer.
howbout a rusted/stuck ball-joint/tierod end
Most people just keep driving till the wheel falls off

snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote:

pump stick and you will have full power at highway speeds,which if unexpected, can be dangerous. It is supossed to give you full power at slow speeds for parking ect. It will feel like it is too easy to turn, it will go straight down the road but turn too easy. Also, you say the alignment is good? If the alignment is good that means the front end *should* have been throughly checked. Crown vics love to eat front end parts. ball joints, control arm bushings, pretty much everything.
Turned out to be bad lower ball joints...personally replaced them with Moog's (not some cheap crap between $20-$40) for around $75 each. Did the free rental of the ball joint press and ball joint separator from Autozone. Bought the joints from Car Quest, although I see I could have gotten them for about $25 total less from Rock Auto, but I wanted to do them right away. Car steers like brand new now (it's a Police Interceptor).
ShoeSalesman wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote:

your original post you said "....the alignment is fine...". Not with loose ball joints it wasn't, obviously.
correct. I should have stated "appeared fine." I behooves one to always begin at the basics especially if being a DIY--raise the car by the frame, disconnect the tie rod ends, and then check for looseness and tightness of the ball joints.