94 CV A/C CUTS OUT ON REALLY HOT DAYS...

My CV does not have a factory auxiliary electric cooling fan as does my 95 Town Car, whose A/C works great regardless of the heat.

When it gets up to around 90 degrees the A/C stops working once the temp gauge gets to the high end of the "NORM" range. Once the it goes back down to say the "R" of that range, the A/C starts working again.

Only had this car for about a year, and this was the first time I took it our for a 60 mile trip in hot weather.

Is this because of there not being an electric fan and, if so, is the car already wired for it?

Thanks.

Septicman

Reply to
septicman

No real need for an electric fan, your fan clutch is dead. This is really common on these cars. I'm seeing a lot of them this season. Get a Motorcraft clutch, the aftermarket clutches don't seem to work well. Yeah, I know, it's about $100, but the $60 ones from the parts store just don't quite cut it. This will also keep your engine temp lower.

I'll bet the one on the Town Car is bad too.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thanks again, Tom.

I have an electric fan from a PI, will it bolt up to and connect directly to my 94 CV and use it instead of replacing the fan clutch?

Fred

Reply to
septicman

I'm not sure if it's a bolt in or not, but it would work better than a dead fan clutch. I "think" those fans are only meant to augment the fan clutch (like on your Town Car), not replace it. I recall reading that they don't move enough air to be a stand alone. Now, if the PI used only the electric fan, it would work. You just have to make sure your electrical system is up to the added load of the fan. You may need to install a higher capacity alternator and a larger charge line from the Alt to the battery. Personally, I'd just bend over for a fan clutch. It will only hurt once. ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I did a fan clutch job on my '95 CV a short while ago. The '95 has both electric and mechanical fans. It was fast and easy. I am a big fan of using the Ford service manual - you can find them on ebay as a CD easily and they are usually cheap to buy. Be sure to rent the fan clutch tool from AutoZone or someplace similar - makes the job a snap!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Will do, Tom. Is there a bench-testing method for determining if a fan clutch is bad? There's no evidence of leaking oil. The Motorocraft one at Rock Auto is around $133, but I just won one at AutoPartAuctions.com--here's the link:

you heard of this place? This will be my first experience withthem. $36.99 with shipping. Thanks again, Tom. Fred

Reply to
septicman

Thanks, PoD.

I have the authentic Ford manuals on CD already for all the 90's Ford products I own, and they are not Haynes or Chiltons. If there's a year or years anyone in the group needs just say so and I will burn a copy and mail it out. I already own the fan clutch tool, but thanks for your excellent suggestion.

Fred

Reply to
septicman

Have you heard of this place? This will be my first experience with> them. $36.99 with shipping. Thanks again, Tom. Fred>

If that's an actual Motorcraft clutch, I'd say you hit the lottery. It's the first I've heard of that site, but I'll check it out later when I have time. The very best way to test a fan clutch is: "If it's over 8 years old, replace it".

90% of them are at least weak by then. There's no easy way to test them in actual operation. You can get fancy with a strobe tach, but...
Reply to
Tom Adkins