94 escort heater leak at motor

I have a problem the heater motor blew. When I took it out there was water in the motor and cap. Could someone tell me where would this be coming from.
I would like to fix this before I put in the new motor. Thanks.
rain?

Most likely, leaves or ice clogging the drains, at either side of the air intake plenum. This would cause rain/melting snow to build up and overflow into the cabin intake They are under the fenders and depending on the particular car, variously difficult to clean and maintain.
you pay..DEAL with it!