'94 Escort idle problems

I have a 1994 Escort 1.9L with 142,000 miles. When the engine is cold, the idle "hunts" up and down. When it's warm, it's steady. However,
when I decelerate and come to a stop (clutch in or in neutral), it hunts again 5 or 6 times before smoothing out. When the a/c is on, it dies on deceleration.
I suspect the idle air control valve. When I unplug the electrical connection to the valve with the engine warm, the hunting stops though the idle is a bit rough. If I unplug the valve with the engine cold, it dies.
I know the valve is responding to the computer which is using info from various sensors. Before I change the valve, I wanted to see if it might be one of the sensors.
I changed the oxygen sensor but that made no difference.
There are no stored fault codes.
Any ideas? Thanks!
Doug
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote:

The IACV is almost 12 years old; get a new one. If the IACV on your Escort is like most Ford products, its primary input is from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). A bad TPS will throw a code, so it's probably just a worn IACV.
Try cleaning it. Take it off and use a carb cleaner to spray in the underside ports. This frees it up and allows the valve to seat and to open I had the same, exact problem on my 94 Escort and that fixed the problem and saved a bunch of moola.