'94 Escort idle problems

I have a 1994 Escort 1.9L with 142,000 miles. When the engine is cold, the idle "hunts" up and down. When it's warm, it's steady. However, when I decelerate and come to a stop (clutch in or in neutral), it hunts again 5 or 6 times before smoothing out. When the a/c is on, it dies on deceleration.

I suspect the idle air control valve. When I unplug the electrical connection to the valve with the engine warm, the hunting stops though the idle is a bit rough. If I unplug the valve with the engine cold, it dies.

I know the valve is responding to the computer which is using info from various sensors. Before I change the valve, I wanted to see if it might be one of the sensors.

I changed the oxygen sensor but that made no difference.

There are no stored fault codes.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Doug

Reply to
dallison.remove

The IACV is almost 12 years old; get a new one. If the IACV on your Escort is like most Ford products, its primary input is from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). A bad TPS will throw a code, so it's probably just a worn IACV.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Reply to
dmtaurus