94 Escort LX Still Stalling at Idle - NOT the IACV, TPS, or O2 Sensor!

Well the 94 Escort is still stalling at idle after going into cloesed loop. Changed the IACV, TP Sensor, and O2 Sensor. Attempted to take the EGR out of the picture by diconnecting and plugging both ends of the vacuum line to its diaphragm, no significant effect.

The idle on closded loop is lumpy, erratic. Idle RPM will be good at times and not at others. Usually when its going bad, the idle will get lumpier and lumpier until it will suddenly stall. Idle RPM on cold open loop is steady about 1500 to 2K. At the car warms up you can feel it go into closed loop and thats when the trouble begins. Manifold vacuum on closed loop is only about 14 in HG - seems low, and fluctulates at bit. Cant tell if the vacuum fluctuation is following RPM or RPM is following fluctuations in idle. I dont think I have any vacuum leaks anywhere. What's the next Easter Egg, the EGR? Getting frustrated, not to mention cold working on it this weekend! Maybe try blanking off the EGR valve ports as a diagnostic before I plunk down another 50 bucks?

Again, once off idle the car runs fine!

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Chris -I reread your original post; Did you replace the elbow fitting at the pcv hose? It is a vacuum leak there that is causing the stall. I know, my

95 has gone through two of them in 122K.
Reply to
Ted

Yes I did - one of the first things I did. Replaced tubing on both ends of the metal PCV line, and changed PCV valve. Hose clamped all joints. Also disconnected and plugged the PCV line at the manifold port to no avail. Googling on Escort + idle shows that a lot of them have problems at about the same mileage as mine is, some due to dirty throttle body, dirty AMM electrodes, etc. Will keep at it, chipping away at the possibles,,,,

Reply to
Chris Bowne

I also suspect a vaccum leak.

Reply to