94 Escort LX Wagon fuel pump assembly questions

While replacing the fuel pump and strainer on my mother's 1994 Escort LX Wagon I found a part on the assembly that I don't quite understand. Between the pump outlet and the metal fuel line that exits the tank is
a nylon chamber with a metal dome cap. What is this strange part and what function does it perform? Why the metal cap?
Regards, Bill snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net
Bill wrote:

The part you saw is a pulse dampener. The fuel pump produces pulses or spikes in the fuel pressure and this part smooths them out. I believe it is a spring loaded diaphragm, an accumulator of sorts. Why the metal cap? Probably easier to assemble, maybe more durable than a 2 piece plastic housing bonded together. I really don't know.             Tom
Thanks for replying Tom. I'm leaning toward "accumulator" since there are no moving parts visible inside (unless the funky rubber seals with plastic clips or possibly flexing metal cap count). I did see something about an accoustic dampener though. Anyway, I wonder how often pumps are replaced for bad check valves when it was a leaky accumulator/dampener seal (that gets reseated when the pump is replaced) all the while. I'll post links when I find out more.
Anybody know anything about accoustic pulse dampening? Is it simply a resonator cavity?
Regards, Bill Liles snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net

Thanks for replying Thomas. The part is NOT a check valve -- it's hollow. It's my understanding that the check valve is built into the electric pump. Perhaps you didn't see my response to Tom's reply.
By the way, my previous posts were only on USENET: rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.ford via google groups. I don't understand how they get copied into this forum. I found this reply quite by accident and had to register to respond to it. In fact, my response to Tom's reply that is shown here doesn't appear on google groups yet!
Regards, Bill Liles snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net

It is a check valve as per shop manual. It is not hollow, but a pressure operated diaphragm.