94 Escort Sudden Engine Quit - It WAS the Timing Belt!

Well , I now know the source of my sudden crap out the other night - a wiped timing belt. After doing all my electrical diagnostics and coming up with nothing abnormal, I pulled the timing belt cover and found a very loose, but unbroken belt. Cranking the engine told the tale - only the crank sprocket was moving.

I cut off the old belt and it was really trashed at the point where it was rubbing on the crank sprocket. So tomorrow's battle will be to get the crank pulley off - Doesn't look like it going to be much fun. The rest of the job doesn't look too tough. Any hints on working down around crank pulley? Does the crank position sensor have to come off? Not mentioned in the Haynes...

The big question I have from this whole incident - how was I getting spark while cranking if the timing belt was wiped? Does the high energy distributorless ignition sense engine timing off the crank sensor as opposed to a cam driven sensor?

BTW, I did not get any Key On Engine Off faults codes with a code reader. Only the "all OK" codes....go figure!

Well, 115K isn't too shabby for a timing belt...wonder why Ford didn't specify a replacement interval for it in the 1.9 maintenance schedule. I know the 1.8 schedule calls for a replacement at 60K, but I believe that was because the 1.8 DOHC was an "interference" engine, where bad things could happen to valves if the belt went.

The original engine accessory drive belt was pretty crispy too.... cracked all over the v-grooves - naturally a new one will be going back in.

Wonder how much clutch is left - its original too - what's a clutch job an a

94 Escort go for these days?

Thanks to all who helped me get this far along!

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Not sure if you can "cheat" the same way on a 94 as you can on my 89, but here goes...

On the 89 cars you can just cut away a little bit of the sheet metal off the body so that you can get a socket onto the crank bolt. Or pull the motor, take you pick.

James

BTW - I hope you get lucky and you have no bent valves! Even on "non-interference" motors you can still have collisions.

Reply to
-JR-