'94 F350 dead speedo - is this dead speed sensor?

Is this dead speed sensor? This is an analog speedo and the auto trans is now shifting very hard.

well, if the speedo is not working, and the trans is not shifting properly, the check engine light should be on. even if the check engine light is not on, it will have a stored code. get the trouble codes read, and you will find the problem. but usually, a bad vss will cause the trans to go into "limp mode"

A 94 will most likely not be a ODB 2 unit, there for it will not likely have a code. there are specs for the speed sender check it or sub a known good unit. Got any friends with a simalar unit? KB
--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:57:36 +0000 (UTC), Kevin

You are correct, this is an ODB 1 vehicle. I'm just going to have to buy one a see if it fixes the problem (as soon a the temps here go above zero).
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 19:28:47 -0600, X-Eliminator

I was able to get hold of a factory service manual which shows that the VSS is really called the "RABS" - Rear Axle Brake Sensor - which delivers AC impulses to the "PSOM" Programmable Speed Odometer Module, so the VSS that is typically mounted on the trans of a two-wheel vehicle is really the RABS on my 4x4 truck. All I need to do is to replace the RABS and see if that solves my problem. (I looked under the truck and found the RABS mounted on top of the Dana 60 rear end - there is no VSS attached to the trans or Borg Warner transfer case anywhere to be found).
rite. the VSS is in the rear, and reads it's signal from a tone ring on the ring gear. speedo cables are in the tailshaft of the yrans, or tailshaft of the transfer case.