94 Ford Escort bucks

I've got a 1994 Ford Escort with 132k miles on it. It has had regular and preventative maintenance. In the past few months, I noticed that mostly during accelleration, the car bucks, but will occassionally not do this. I replaced the oxygen sensor when this first started at about

129K miles (it had never been replaced up to this point). Any hints as to the cause/cure?

Specs: 1994 Ford Escort Pony, manual transmission, 1.9L, 132K miles

Thanks, Jed

Reply to
Jeff T

Jeff T opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

ANY other symptoms?

Hard or Easy acceleration?

Does it start run and idle well? Any change there since before this problem?

Should start in about 2 seconds without touching accelerator

Have you changed the fuel filter?

WHY did you change the oxygen sensor?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

No other symptoms that I've noticed. Accelleration, cold/hot start is the same as it has always been. Runs/idles well. No other problems noticed. Fuel filter changed about 10k ago. o2 sensor changed because a previous Google post referred to the o2 sensor going bad and causing bucking. Changing it also seemed to lessen the bucking, but alas, it continues...

Reply to
Jeff T

I have a '95 Escort with 176,000. At about 130,000 it had a hiccup. Would idle fine and would go up to 35 or 40 fine also. When asked to climb a hill or get on the highway, it would buck and hiccup. Turned out to be the ignition coil. My '95 has a distributorless ignition, as I think yours does. The coil is right on top and easy to get to. It's actually two coils packaged together. It was about $43 at Advance Auto. It would be a good idea to change plugs and wires now too. Scott snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
SSaund9084

Have you checked your TPS yet?

Reply to
Childfree Scott

a good start would be the fuel filter

Reply to
Scott M

My old '91 used to do that every so often. It seemed to be the parking brake was not disengaging. I had that serviced a few times and each time the problem would go away for several months (or even a year or more). It didn't have nearly as many miles, though.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

I have the exact same problem with a manual 94 LX wagon with about 145 k on it. Have you tried any of the remedies listed here? Any of them work?

Thanks!

Reply to
bighead

I've checked the brake and it's not the source, but thanks for the posting anyway.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff T

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. I've had the fuel filter changed which seemed to lessen the bucking - then I tried "SeaFoam" fuel system cleaner (available at Napa Auto Parts amongst other auto stores) and it seemed to lessen it even more. I've only gone through

1/2 tank of gas since I tried the cleaner, so maybe it'll get better with time... Next stop will be to replace spark plugs/wires...

Thanks again, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff T

I haven't been able to read the whole thread here, only the replies. I had a hiccuping problem with my '95 escort. Wouldn't even climb a steep hill for a while. Turned out to be the ignition coil. Had replaced the plugs and wires first. Coil was about $43 at Advance Auto. Scott snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
SSaund9084

10/31/04-

I changed the spark plugs today and found it cured the problem!! Finally my car seems to be running right!

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this discussion!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff T