94 ford taurus

I just purchased a 94 ford taurus a couple of weeks ago and found that when driving with the lights on they would shut off on their own, after no specific amount of time and then come back on after 4-5 seconds. So I asked some people what they might think it would be and majority said that it was my alternator. So I went to O'Reilly's and they found out the rather than my alternator being the problem, it was my battery--it wasn't putting out enough volts. So, I went to get a new one and it wasn't in stock. So the manager cross-referenced it and said to use that battery until the one that I actually need comes in. The battery he gave me is smaller and now my car has problems starting. HELP!!

Reply to
daddygl

"daddygl" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Go away...

....either you are a troll or everyone you have talked to recently is an idiot and that might be catching!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

For the REST of you...who might stumble on this using a search..

All symptoms he describes dont add up:

  1. Low battery voltage causes lights to dim... not go on and off
1a. He would also have trouble starting car if it was either the alternator or battery

  1. Headlight circuit breaker is automatically resetting.. if you have the problem he describes there is either a high-resistance short or the circuit breaker is faulty.

  2. For a parts store not to have a battery for a Taurus is ludicrous on the face of it. EVERY store has a battery to fit a Taurus. Or the one across the street does
3a. if the battery is 12v and made to fit any car... or a large garden tractor... it will start the car unless he has other problems.

Therefore he is a troll, or, he and everyone he has consulted is an idiot..

or both.