94 Ford with 1.9L engine load tap/bang when cold only-what can I to do?

94 Ford with 1.9L engine load tap/bang when cold only-what can I to do? I had this car (1994 Ford Escort) for two months and now that the temperatures are around the 40's the 1.9L engine (at least it sounds like it is coming from inside the engine) is tapping when the engine is cold (only 40 degrees will do it). The sound can be quite loud if I try to drive the car when it is cold. Idling out of gear is usually OK when cold, it is mainly if I place the car under load by putting in gear and giving it gas that the banging gets much worse. What is the best remedy for such a problem. Thank You in advance.
Reply to
Hwsw49

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Hwsw49) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com:

Do you use the engine oil type recommended by Ford?

Rodney

Reply to
Rodney

Might be a problem where the oil is not getting up to the head quickly enough, due to the oil level being low or wrong grade viscosity.

Since you just got this car a few months ago, what shape is the maintenance in? Check the oil, maybe try changing it to a lower viscosity, this engine probably takes 5W-30. Check the emissions decal first, might be under the hood by the radiator. Change the oil filter too.

Otherwise, don't drive it when the noise is loud. You are most likely decreasing the life of your valve train/head assembly significantly until the engine is properly maintained.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU REV THE ENGINE OUT OF GEAR????

IF THE SAME PROBLEM STILL OCCURS THEN I WOULD CHECK THE OIL PRESSURE. IF THATS OK THEN I WOULD SUSSPECT NOISEY TAPPETS???? THEY MAY BE WEARING AN THROUGH TIME IF THE VEHICLE HAS NOT BEEN MAINTAINED OR DROVE SERIOSLY HARD WITH OUT THE OIL PRESSURE BEING WHAT IT SHOULD BE AT THEN THEY CAN START TO STICK!!!!

BUT DO CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL FIRST AN DO AN OIL AN FILTER CHANGE TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE...]

COULD BE A POSSIBILITY OF AN OIL PUMP TOO!!!!

Reply to
TRANSIT_MAN_DAN