94 Lincoln Continental stumbling running rough at idle

Does anyone know what the problem / problems maybe in a 1994 continental w 3.8L. Just had the head gaskets replaced on this car. Heads cleaned up, new
plugs, wires, and cap, rotor, fuel pump replaced. But the car does not idle smooth!
Mechanic is scratching his head! Does not want to throw parts on it if does not fixed. He drove it on the highway up to 60 miles an hour and back down to 30 ( apparently to reset computer, but still idles rough. However driving around normally it runs great. Any ideas or is there something to be done to reset?
T.I.A.
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Perhaps a wrong intake gasket or hose left off. Does it run smooth above an idle? You didn't happen to get any help from ford on the head gasket issue did you? We just had ours done, but the car only has 29,000 miles on it. There was a warranty extension on this issue, but they said ford is sticking rigidly to the extension parameters, which we were obviously out of by time.
--
Steve Barker

=========
Well we were the second owners and way out at 119000 miles. Anyway we bought the car from my aunt for $1.00. So the outlay for repairs is sort of expected for a low priced car. Ford was no help, But i always hated Ford! Only owned Mopar's and never had a severe problem with any! Anyway the Ford dealership wanted $1800 to change one head gasket or $3000 for both! So my uncle had his heavy duty equipment machanic do it for us a a favor. Only $500 and he changed both, even though it was only the one blown! He usually works on race cars on his spare time but knows enough to work on this car! he's just perplexed by the rough idle! he has checked all the sensors and what not. His friend came over with a laptop with software to read codes and apparently gives him 4 codes for differnt sensors. So he knows it is not the sensors but could be the computer or some loose wires somewere for some sensor giving erratic readings everywere.

down
done
I had the same thing happen after replacing head gaskets. Turned out it was one of the o2 sensors. They can be damaged from coolant leaking past the head gaskets. But your mechanic probably already checked that. Also could be a vacumn hose. I had one rot out. It ran from some thingamajiggy on the top right/center of the engine down to a junction in front of the radiator. 12" hose replaced. Fixed the problem.
Good Luck Jersey Jim