94 Lincoln Shifting

My 94 Towncar will sometimes hunt in and out of overdrive for no reason. It has nothing to do with loads or temperture. I suspect a sensor problem but
which one and where is it? Any help please. All other shifts are normal and there are NO other symptons. It happens any speed from about 35 to over 60. Shuting the overdrive off will make it go away.
ED
Ed wrote:

You should be able to take the car to a competent dealer shop or a competent transmission shop and have the codes from computer that controls the controls the transmission. These codes should narrow down which sensors or whatever might be bad.
Jeff

Likely the MLPS. Electronic switch on drivers side of tranny.
http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum !&topic_idQ973&mesg_idQ973&page Pics etc are about half-way down the screen.
Symptoms were similar on my '94 Tbird LX V8. As if I had shifted from 3rd or 4th to neutral. I set the shifter to neutral, then to D and it would get back to normal.
Maybe $300 for a dealer fix. Details if you wanna repair yourself.
Puddin'
"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Could be a bad or corroded electrical connection from the tranny sending unit since the problems "comes & goes".
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 00:33:28 GMT, "Ed"

Most likely the MLPS (nuetral switch in the good ole days jargon) The replacement will have an updated harness connector. Comes complete with instructions. If you have a few metris tools, it is about a 30 minutes job once you get under there to do the complete job following the instruction pamphlet. Cost is usually under $50 in the after market or closer to $100 at the dealer. Most dealers will get about 2 hours pay including diagnostic plus parts.
Lugnut
Ed wrote:

I just changed the MLPS and it fixed the very same problem. This is after taking it to the Ford dealer and there diagnosis was I need a new transmission. Yet true professionals! A MLPS ($90) and transmission fluid and filter and we have driven it 3000 Miles with no problems. If when you remove the MLPS you can rotate it by hand, you have found the problem. The new switch has much tighter contacts that you will MOT be able to rotate by hand. If I remember right I had to replace this with the car in Neutral to get the alignment bars right. Make sure the parking brake is on and level and wheels blocked on this one.