94 Ranger Vaccum Diaphram replacement -- Please HELP

I put a new Vac diaphrm in my ranger because of eratic shifting and no gear response at all at first starting - once it warms up it does better, but
still slips occassionally and was getting worse. The trans is pretty new - 4/2003, but less than 15k - (A rebuilt), but warranty is 6 months past. The ownners manual suggested repalcing the vac dia in the trouble shooting section at the front of the book. The symptoms sounded like what they described...
The old diaphram had a pin inserted in the tube which mounts into the trans housing, but the new diaphram I bought did not come with one - was it lost, did it not belong there in the first place??? The pin looked like a thick piece of pencil lead about an inch in length. I lost it, anyway, but still put the new diaphram in without a pin -- Still having problems with the gears, but behavior is different.
Also, There is a screw that can be adjusted on the outside face of the diaphram - What does turning the screw in vs out accomplish relating to the performance of the part????
HELP!!!! Answer direct snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
Without the pin, the modulator that you installed won't do anything. A transmission shop will get you one (probably for free). Sadly, I suspect that there is more to your transmission than a defective modulator or adjusting the one you bought. The symptoms sound more serious than that. And it's not unusual for rebuilt transmissions to fail. There are rebuilds and there are rebuilds. The better ones cost more and come with long warranties. If you don't trust the place that rebuilt your transmission, go somewhere else, but a chat with a good transmission mechanic is in order.