94 Sable, bad connecting rod bearing

My 94 Sable is making a clanking noise for the past few months. A mechanic told me it was a worn bearing at one of the connecting rods. He also said that I would probably be better off buying another car because this repair is expensive. How long may it last? I know a weel bearing could go making noise for months even years.

In the manual, it says a connecting rod or its bearing can be replaced by removing the cylinder heat and oil pan with the engine in place. I have done it before on a smaller car, the cylinder head only. In this case, would this repair be difficult? If the car could make it for a few more months and I decided to do the repair myself, I would wait for the Spring when it is warmer.

Thank you

Tony

Reply to
Alpha One

If its making much noise it will probably seize or spin on the crank in a few days.

You might have been able to fix it like this if you caught it very early but I doubt it. What happens is the bearing gets loose and ruins the crank journal it runs on. I don't think you can replace the crank with the engine in the car.

Reply to
Scott

Yeah, if it's a rod bearing I doubt if it could go on for months. It might just be a bad lifter or loose rocker.

Reply to
jk

Until it locks up at 50mph, you pull thru a couple of lanes and take that nice family out that were waiting at the bus stop.....

Your welcome

Reply to
johanb