94 Sable, Connecting Rod Problem

My 94 Sable is making a clanking noise for the past few months. A mechanic told me it was a worn bearing at one of the connecting rods. He also said that I would probably be better off buying another car because this repair is expensive. How long may it last? I know a bearing could go making noise for months even years.

In the manual, it says a connecting rod or its bearing can be replaced by removing the cylinder heat and oil pan with the engine in place. I have done it before on a smaller car, the cylinder head only. In this case, would this repair be difficult? If the car could make it for a few more months and I decided to do the repair myself, I would wait for the Spring when it is warmer.

Thank you

Tony

Reply to
Alpha One