94 Taurus Dies In Traffic-Revisited

Last April my wife's 1994 Taurus (LX , 3.8 fuel injected V6 ) was dieing in traffic. I thought I had solved the problem but it has started again. Self Test passes. Memory code 332 on reading after starting with starting fluid. After clearing memory and driving for a while Self Test and Memory passes. I am beginning to suspect the fuel pump is intermediary going out. Is there a way to test the fuel pump.

Reply to
Texan

Pressure gauge on the test port. My '88 had a pump that would fail after running for a while. 50 miles and the pressure would start dropping off. Let it sit or put some more cool gas in it and it would run for a while until it heated up again. Drove me crazy, I though it was vapor lock but having the gauge with me was the only way to confirm it on the side of the road. Pump was running but lost pressure was the verdict. You could watch the gauge fall off as it ran until the pressure dropped low enough not to pass through the injectors once the pump heated up.

Reply to
Repairman

How long since the fuel filter was replaced?

mike

Reply to
Michael

Last week. I am hoping the solved the problem. Currently I am driving with a can of started fluid and a screw driver in the glove box. So far had not had to use them

Reply to
Texan

i have a 93 taurus, 3.0 and had problems with it starting... once it started it ran pretty good.. but go into the store and come out it would not start.. have to leave it for a few hrs. and then come back and it started right up.... changed the coil(not the problem).. then checked the gas pressure.. i bought an actron fuel pump tester from auto zone for about $39.00... it showed that the gas pressure was up to specs.... it would start every time... then i started taping around on different things..(it was the constant conctrol relay(box under the plastic cover over the radiator)... auto zone did not have any... it seemed only the dealer had it for about $200 or more... i then went to a local NAPA store(national auto parts)

and found them to have it listed for about $75 or so and i got it for $50... replaced the relay box and no more problems.. it has relays in there to control the a/c compressor, the radiator fan compressor, and the relay for the fuel pump.. and maybe some more stuff(kinda involved as i took it apart first to try to test it, but could not as there was too much electronics in there.... but i did know what wire to test that come out of the relay so i knew that the fuel pump was not gettting electricity when it was suppose to... this might be your problem?????

Reply to
dbird

Thanks dbird, I will check out the constant control relay first thing tomorrow.

Reply to
Texan