94 taurus does not shift from park

Hello,

My friend's car does not shift from park. I learnt that it is either brake switch or solenoid. I want to learn how I can locate the solenoid. Thanks.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

The brake switch is the easier thing to check for, easier thing to fix, and the first thing to rule out.

With someone in the car, have them press the brakes (With the car on, failing to shift from park). Do the brake lights go on?

Can you Shift the car from 'lock' to 'off' (move key forward one click, such that the steering wheel unlocks, but not so that the electronics fire up), shift the car into Neutral and start normally?

Reply to
Bill 2

thank you for your advice. I think the problem is solenoid. My friend is satisfied with the small trick rather than changing the selonoid.

Thanks again. have a good day. ulas.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

Your friend really should get it repaired properly. If it is the brake light switch, it is a very real safety problem which may get someone seriously injured or killed. There are other things that do not work including the brake lights and proper disengagement of the transmission torque converter if it is the brake light switch. Also, if the cruise control is engaged for some reason, it will not disengage when the brakes are applied resulting in the possibility of the vehicle being difficult to stop. Don't cheap out with someone's life - especially if it is mine!

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Replacing the brake light switch isn't hard and the part doesn't cost much, under $10.

If you attempt to bypass the switch, e.g. wiggling the wires around the switch or defeating the solenoid, and an accident occurs you might be found guilty of contributing.

Again the switch is easy to replace and not expensive.

Reply to
Bill