'94 Taurus GL 3.8

Approximately how much should I anticipate spending on replacing the head gasket? Hours of labor? Cost of the kit and needed materials?

The car overheated today due to a blockage in the radiator. The water pump and thermostat had just been replaced a few months ago. I ended up replacing the radiator and had the system and reservoir flushed out and topped off. I guess I ran the car a little too hot for too long, trying to limp home. I now have a rough idle and it's blowing a little "coolant scented" exhaust. I suspect I blew the head gasket.

The mechanic mentioned some "super duper" bandaid additive which might buy me some more time or mileage. He said it involved getting the engine really hot before adding it and then letting it sit for a few hours. Does anyone have any ideas on what he might be referring to and its success rate? The car only has 40K on it, but I'd like to know if it's worthwhile trying to salvage.

Reply to
Dave Zass

I would never use a bandaid method with any vehicle.

As for the cost of a head gasket replacement, it just depends on the shop. A head gasket repair is atleast a few hour job for most mechanics, and hopefully only the head gasket is damaged and nothing else.

Good luck with it

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv